Strategy was made famous by the redoubtable Michael Porter who said that “strategy is all about creating a competitive advantage over your rivals by deliberately choosing a different set of activities to deliver unique value.”
The authors in the introduction talk about how ineffective leaders think about strategy:
1. They define strategy as a vision.
2. They define strategy as a plan.
3. They deny that long-term strategy is possible.
4. They define strategy as the optimization of the status quo.
5. They define strategy as following best practices.
The book is based on five choices which every firm needs to make to win in the market…