10 Steps for peak Health and Fitness
Being healthy and fit is one of the joys in life. My goal is stay fit throughout and be healthy. I have done five half marathons, two 10k races and one 25k. That does keep me going. I have put together some very simple steps that I try to follow to maintain good physical fitness.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Never skip breakfast.
- Drink lot water throughout the day to stay hydrated
- Sleep 7-8 hours a day. Sometimes burning midnight oil is necessary but it should be an exception rather than a rule. We need to work our schedules to ensure sleep is taken care.
- Exercise 3-5 times a week at least 30min each time. This is known for ages but worth repeating.
- Set some fitness goals like running a 5k or walking a certain distance.
- Keep track of all your accomplishments even if you have not reached your goal yet. In fact at the start of a fitness program it is very important to reward and recognize yourself consistently so that you can sustain for the long run. For example if you did follow through on your commitment to exercise keep yourself motivated by doing something nice for yourself.
- Maintain a positive mindset and have the belief that you will eventually reach your fitness goals.
- Take care of your diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Setting reasonable weight loss goals is the key. Set intermediate goals like losing 5 pounds in 2 months rather than 20 pounds. Start small and eventually momentum will kick in which will help reach your goals.
- The big payoff for being fit is the enormous energy and enthusiasm it provides to your days. I have found that when I exercise early morning the whole day seems to go better. As it is said don’t add days to your life instead add life to your days.
I have lost 20 pounds 2 times and I can say with conviction that fitness has to be a lifelong quest and there is no short cut or quick fix. We have to be in it for our lives and it has to be a daily consideration. Crash diets are not long lasting.
It is not easy to maintain fitness but it is worth it since the payoff from a good fitness program is tremendous and the positives far outweigh the effort required.