5 Keys to Deliberate Practice
- It is designed to improve performance: The key is to design your practice to improve performance by constantly setting ever higher goals and focusing acutely on the one skill that you can improve.
- Repeat, Repeat, Repeat: This much is known if we want to succeed in any endeavor then practice is the key. The key to practice is to repeat every activity defined in the first point until we reach mastery.
- Seek constant critical feedback: There is a reason why even top athletes need coaches because the individuals can’t identify their weakness by themselves. Don’t reject feedback as that is the only way to improve performance.
- Focus on where you need help: This closely follows the earlier point. You need to clearly identify areas of weakness and then seek help to improve on that activity. This is hard work but absolutely necessary towards the journey of Mastery.
- Prepare for a mentally physically and demanding activity: You can’t get to world-class without some pain and that is what deliberate practice is. This is a sobering thought but if you do it you will have the satisfaction of joining the elite in your profession. The fact is only the top few do deliberate practice so if you engage in it, there is a deep feeling of satisfaction.