Make your life stand for something
Maximise Potential is my pet project. I believe each one of us has enormous reservoirs of potential waiting to be unleashed. However this potential has to be harnessed before it becomes latent. You don't need to be great to start but you have to start to be great.
Here are some thoughts to get the most out of yourself and make your life stand for something.
- The author Napoleon Hill said that “Definiteness of Purpose” is the first quality required for success after analyzing the richest men in America. Decide what you want to achieve in your life. Write down your short term and long term goals. Make it specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, time bound. I like this line "Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement."
- Create a personal mission statement and vision for your future. My mission is simple “I want to maximise my potential and help others maximise theirs.”
- Never stop learning. If you are through learning you are through life.
- Read broadly and expand your horizons.
- Put fitness on your radar by engaging in a balanced exercise program. There is a lot of research which shows regular exercise releases pleasure inducing chemicals.
- Keep track of your victories no matter how small they are. We can’t wait for others to approve. The first and most important step is self-approval.
- Practice gratitude. We can be happy with what we have while we strive to become better.
- One of the best quotes from Stephen Covey "Don’t prioritize your schedule. Schedule your priorities."
- Believe yourself when no one else does. People only believe results not words or the other way to put is as Frank Sinatra said "The best revenge is massive success."
- There are 168 hours in a week. How we use it wisely is our choice.
- Fear is normal but we shouldn’t allow fear to sabotage us. As Mark Twain said “I have had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.”
- Take time off to renew, recharge and rejuvenate on a periodic basis. There is a lot of research which shows that taking time off in fact makes you more productive.
- Define what success means to you. It may not be the same definition of success by society.
- Treat everyone with respect. Practice the golden rule.
- If it is meant to be it’s up to me.
- The beautiful proverb “There is nothing noble in being superior to another person. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.”
- Don’t compare yourself with others. Be happy in your own skin.
- “Life is like a river. There is a river of joy and river of sorrow. The key is to not to stay on either bank for too long.”
- I have been writing in a journal for quite some time now and it is extremely effective. Your life is worth recording.
- As Steve Martin said "Be so good they cannot ignore you."
- Successful people don’t do different things they just do things differently.
- Discover your talents. You have a reservoir of talent which has to be tapped.
- There is a 10000 hour rule. To be successful at what you do you need to put in 10000 hours of deliberate practice in the same field. This usually takes 10 years.
- The following books have made a huge difference one me
- The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
- The Success Principles
- Think and Grow Rich
- The Speed of Trust
- First Things First
- Built to Last
- Great by Choice
- Die Empty
- Good to Great
- The Magic of Thinking BIG
- Success through Positive Mental attitude
- The Power of positive thinking
- Leaders eat last
- Rising Strong
- Daring Greatly
- The Gifts of Imperfection
- A Whole New Mind
- David and Goliath
- “The best way to predict the future is to create it.”
- As Ralph Waldo Emerson said “Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful, and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.”
- “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all” Helen Keller
- Good maxim “Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.”
- Communication is everything and it requires constant practice to improve. As it has been well stated often excellence is a journey not a destination.
- “Happiness can be defined, in part at least, as the fruit of the desire and ability to sacrifice what we want now for what we want eventually.” Stephen Covey.
Your life matters and you can become great in whatever you choose to do. The only thing is you need to decide exactly what you want your life to stand for. Only you can decide that and no one else can. So go ahead and make your life stand for something.
Thanks for reading this post.
If you like what you read please be sure to check my book maximise potential available on amazon. It has everything I have learnt on success, leadership, management, personal development, and some book reviews. It is the collection of my 107 blog posts over the past 4 years. Maximise Potential Amazon
The eBook is available here Maximise Potential eBook
It is also available on Apple iBookstore Maximise Potential eBook